Healing in Solidarity
Time & Location
About the Event
This moment is about the injustices perpetrated on the Black community at the hands of the police and tearing down the American systems that disproportionately harm and kill Black Americans. The global pandemic has overwhelmingly sickened and killed black people, the resulting economic crisis is enacting outsized damage to people of color, and black people are continuing to be killed in their own homes and on their own streets by white violence and police. Consequently, white communities are asking how they can help. It is an overwhelming proposition –
- Where do you start?
- How do you move beyond the shame and guilt you are carrying because white people alive today didn’t create racism or choose to live in a white supremacist country?
- How do you face reality, give us permission to forgive ourselves, and become better co-conspirators in the movement?
- How do you do this work without relying on the free emotional labor and work of Black leaders?
- What do you do if you make a mistake?
- How do you provide emotional outreach to your Black friends and family without centering yourself?
What is it?
This series is for white accomplices who are in leadership positions and are ready to take on the inner work necessary to create systemic change in their places of work and other areas of influence.
This is not a book club - while we may discuss passages from anti-racism texts we intend to move deeper focusing on actionable change within the nonprofit sector including shifting organizational culture, transferring power to communities and leaders of color, and dismantling systems of inequity.
When is it?
This series will include four sessions, each two-hours long, to process your whiteness and use your spaces to create systemic change. This is a sacred and protected space that will be set up as small groups of five participants who will meet once a week for four weeks.
How much does it cost?
The cost of the series is $1,000 and can be paid in two installments of $500.The cost of the series will help underwrite scholarships for the Virtual Leaders Ummah.
- Healing in Solidarity$1,000$1,0000$0